Saturday, July 12, 2014

You Oughtha Know




If you are a pintrest fan like me, you may already know that you can make Ice Cream in a Ziploc
Bag using ice and salt. What you might not know is that you can make Diary-Free Ice Cream using a variety of milk substitute products.

The other day I was having a big BBQ with the whole family. I thought that making home made ice cream would be a fun and cool way to entertain the young ones on a hot Saturday. My cousin is lactose intolerant and can only drink Almond Milk. I didn't want her to feel left out. The teacher in me thought this would be a prefect excuse to conduct an experiment. We made a special batch just for my cousin using Almond Coconut milk while the rest of the kids used whole milk or half and half.

Predictions:
Me: "Honestly, I don't think the Almond Milk will work."
Kid 1:  "You can't make ice cream, you can only buy it silly."
Kid 2: "Almond milk will taste the best. Yay!"
Grandpa: " If that bag of salt water leaks it will kill my grass. Please don't kill my grass."

Materials/Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Milk (We used Almond milk, but you can use any type you want.)
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1/2 TSP Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Gallon Sized Freezer Bag
  • 1 Quart Sized Zippy Bag
  • 1/2 Cup Salt
  • Ice
  • Sprinkles and Toppings
 Procedure:
Pour the milk, sugar and vanilla into the smaller zippy bag. Make sure to get most of the air out and seal it all the way. Fill the gallon sized bag up half way with ice and salt. The put the small bag inside the gallon sized ice bag and shake it for 10 minutes or until  you have ice cream. If it is really hot you may need to add more ice as you shake. Things can get slippery as the ice begins to melt so your best bet is to do this outside. Spoon into a bowl, add your toppings and enjoy!







Results:
The Almond Coconut milk -successful, but it was a little icy.
Whole Milk- successful, tasted like ice cream
Half and Half- successful, very creamy and rich.

Thanks for stopping by!
Patriotic ELA/ Math Freebie
Freebie
Here is a 4th of July Freebie for your time. 4th of July Freebie

4 comments:

  1. This is a great variable lesson that I am conjuring in my head right now. Love it!

    Renee at The Science School Yard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! My mind is spinning in overdrive with all of the thoughts of what I can do with this. Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower!

    karen
    Smarticle Particles

    ReplyDelete